Chefs Blog in Sydney
Christmas recipes from the Chef – White Sangria
Hi again. This is Paul, Executive Chef at Mercure Sydney. In previous weeks I have shown you how to make the ultimate roast potatoes and some tasty Christmas treats. To wash down all of that food why not enjoy a glass of white sangria. It’s so refreshing on a warm summer day and since moving to Australia it’s a drink I now make every Christmas.
• 1/2 cup (100g) caster sugar
• 1/2 cup (125ml) water
• 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 2 x 750ml bottles white wine (such as Riesling)
• 1 1/2 cups (375ml) orange juice
• 1/3 cup (80ml) lemon juice
• 2 tbs lime juice
• 1/2 cup mint or lemon balm leaves
• Ice, orange, lime and lemon slices to serve
1. Combine sugar, water, vanilla bean and seeds, and cinnamon in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 2 minutes or until syrup thickens. Pour into a small container and place in the fridge to chill.
2. Combine the vanilla syrup, wine, orange, lemon and lime juices, mint, citrus slices and ice in a jug. Serve immediately.
I hope you enjoy a glass or two of white sangria over the festive period and we look forward to seeing you at Four Elements Restaurant when you are next in Sydney.
Four Elements Restaurant, Mercure Sydney Hotel
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2011 - Permalink