Chefs Blog in Sydney
Christmas recipes from the Chef – Eggnog
Hi again. This is Paul, Executive Chef at Mercure Sydney. It’s amazing to think that Christmas is on us already. If you are racking your brain looking for a little something to make your celebrations special why not embrace a traditional favourite and surprise your family with Christmas Eggnog. It could be the perfect drink to start or end your festive celebration.
Ingredients (to serve 8)
• 12 egg yolks
• 5 cloves, whole
• 4 cups milk
• 4 cups cream
• 3 cups light rum
• 1+ 3/4 cups sugar
• 2+ 1/2 teaspoons vanilla essence
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
• 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
• In a saucepan over low heat, blend the milk, cinnamon, cloves and half a teaspoon of the vanilla essence.
• Keep stirring while mixture heats, and remove from heat just before boiling point.
In a bowl, mix together the sugar with all those egg yolks.
• Make sure you whisk them well so that they're light and fluffy.
• Gently and a little at a time, pour in the milk mixture while continuing to whisk.
• Transfer mixture back into your saucepan over a medium heat while continuing to stir.
• Keep stirring until your eggnog mixture starts to resemble custard.
• Never let the mixture to reach boiling point!!
• Pour and strain the mixture into a jug, making sure to remove the cloves.
• Stand jug in the fridge for an hour or two.
• Gently stir in the cream, light rum, remaining vanilla and ground nutmeg.
• Put back into the fridge overnight.
• Serve in cups with a little extra ground nutmeg, cinnamon or baking cocoa sprinkled lightly on top.
I hope that over the past weeks I have provided a little inspiration for food and drinks over the Christmas period. Have a very merry Christmas and best wishes for the new year.
We look forward to seeing you at Four Elements Restaurant when you are next in Sydney.
Four Elements Restaurant, Mercure Sydney Hotel
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2011 - Permalink